Tuesday 11 March 2014

With all due respect !!!

Have you ever been in a meeting and had a colleague use the phrase -'with all due respect'.  In my experience, this usually means that they are about to treat you with utter disrespect and they are quite probably about to pour complete derision onto whatever opinion you have just voiced.  The first time it happened  I was completely unprepared and even offended by their scorn - but live and learn and I now realise that it is a phrase that can be a used when dealing with a difficult person; not that I was ever difficult of course!  




Sometimes in a meeting situation, we have opinions and even personal agendas which may be at odds with the normal culture of the meeting.  I am a woman and sometimes that fact alone meant that I've held different views or opinions than the rest of my male colleagues, regardless, if you really what to give a polite put down - "With all due respect" is just the way to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Staying socially connected while we maintain safe physically distancing.

What changes are the current restrictions having in your life? Is it hard to know what day of the week it is? Do you now spend more time on...