Thursday 23 January 2020

For many people the new year is associated with making (and often breaking) resolutions. Let face it, each year our list of resolutions is usually a rehash of our previous years' failed resolutions. Be more active, lose weight, spend more time reading and less time on devices, spend more time with friends and loved ones - sound familiar.

Every year I used to prepare a list of New Year's Resolutions. Then, usually fairly early in the New Year, I would be beating myself up because I hadn't managed to keep my resolution. Give up Smoking; is one that comes to mind. Topmost on my Resolution Lists for about 10 years until finally about 12 years ago I successfully gave up! But that had nothing to do with resolutions and a lot to do with recurring bronchitis!

If you made a list this year and you're still sticking to it, then congratulations. If you made a list and you can't remember what was on it, or why, then perhaps next year make a list before the champagne corks start flying. :)






This year I watched a YouTuber suggest that rather than making a list of resolutions consider creating an 'Intentions Board'. I was really intrigued by this idea, and I decided to have a look at examples on the internet and to research Vision Boards and Intention Boards. I wanted to know what they should include and how to incorporate them into my life.

I have now decided to give it a try - this might be a better way, make visual reminders about what I want to achieve in the next chapter of my life. These will not necessarily be able to be squashed between Jan and Dec but looking ahead to the future. Looking at the things that will help me age gracefully, with excellent health, strength and vitality and looking towards tasks to be completed and dreams still to be realised. 

Well its a bit late but I've decided to try my hand at this and just discount the last fortnight as research time. So my next task is to find a way of showcasing my 'intentions' in a way that will help me make real changes in my daily life and bring about real changes that I will feel and enjoy.

Each year there has been a recurring theme to most of my resolutions, like many people I'd like to think that I am making the most of my time and living the best life possible. This also means taking the best care of the physical, emotional and spiritual parts of my life, so obviously, there will be intentions on my Board about health and wellness. Still, more than that, I want my Intention Board to showcase this next chapter of my life and display the opportunities and the tasks I need to focus on to live my best life.

Firstly, I'm going to find a way of preparing a virtual visualisation board - this way I can take it with me. For some people, a real-life board on the wall of their office or bedroom might be best. Still, for me, I think I'll see if there is an App to do the job or maybe use Pinterest to create a Board that captures all of my plans and hopes for the coming year. 

I will post a picture of my Board and let you know if it helps me to keep on track with my plans this year.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Staying socially connected while we maintain safe physically distancing.

What changes are the current restrictions having in your life? Is it hard to know what day of the week it is? Do you now spend more time on...