Friday 21 February 2014

Reflections on family & friends.

A friend of mine once told me that she kept a journal by the side of her bed to jot down the funny things her kids had said that day; tragically she lost her son a couple of years ago through suicide, I sometimes wonder if those journals give her some comfort now.

I also remember another wise friend telling me when I was a new mother of two great kids.  "Kids are either a pain in the neck or a lump in the throat".  Now, as the mother of two grown children and the grandmother of a beautiful 3-year-old, I remember this and reflect on how right she was.  No love is stronger, I will always be their greatest supporter and probably will always be blind to their faults, they are truly wonderful people and their father and I love them dearly.

Over the years my children have given me my greatest highs and also my most trying and soul searching moments.  I reflected on this some time ago at the wedding of the daughter of my very best friend.  It was truly one of the nicest weddings that I have ever attended, everything ran like clockwork...the bride and my friend, (her mother) would have demanded nothing less and they were truly rewarded for all of their hard work with a day to remember and a special day for all of their guests.  

The wedding also gave me a chance to see a lot of old friends, many of whom I hadn't seen for years, and it was great to catch up with them and with many of their now grown-up beautiful children.  

Twenty or so years ago we all had small kids, now we are grandmothers and grandfathers and we have wrinkles and so much more life experience.  Really it doesn't get better than that...remember my other friend the one who only has her journals!

Life, God and whatever else you believe in has been very good to me and mine.

The words of my wise friend were also so true, my children have the ability to annoy me more than anyone else in the world but they also have the ability to break my heart and for my heart to break with each of their disappointments or setbacks.  Nothing is perfect but my life is good maybe even great and I try to remember that the only thing that really matters, is that I have family and friends who love me, so I am truly blessed.  I hope you are too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Staying socially connected while we maintain safe physically distancing.

What changes are the current restrictions having in your life? Is it hard to know what day of the week it is? Do you now spend more time on...