Thursday 30 April 2020

Staying socially connected while we maintain safe physically distancing.

What changes are the current restrictions having in your life? Is it hard to know what day of the week it is? Do you now spend more time on your devices? Maybe you are busier than before? Some people are trying to work from home and are also juggling the competing demands of bored children.  Children who are coping with the new concept and experience of online homeschooling. Perhaps you work in an industry or occupation which is still operating. The kids are home from school, and of course, they can't go to their grandparents as they usually would as their grandparents are in a vulnerable group! The situation is different for everyone. I feel truly blessed to be living in a house with my own outside space, food in the pantry and people who I care about surrounding me.




I think it is vital to take a moment and count our blessings, I am very conscious that home is not a safe space for some people, and I worry. I worry about everyone who has lost their jobs. The stress and strain about how they will cope once these restrictions are eased must be enormous. I worry about the children who are missing the opportunity to learn and experience the ups and downs of school life. In some countries, this may mean that they are also losing their main meal of the day, so I worry. I worry about all the health care workers working in busy hospitals and having to cope with the risks to their own health. I worry about the business owners facing possible financial ruin after closing their businesses down during this current crisis. I worry about our politicians and lawmakers, and I hope that they will have the good sense to know when and how to help and the courage to work together for our common good. I worry about my family, and I fear for my friends.

One of the crucial ways we are learning to stay safe is by 'social distancing' what a shame that this concept wasn't more accurately named – 'physically distancing' – socially; we are truly blessed to have so many ways of connecting. The 'new normal' that we are all still coming to grips with includes many forms of catching up with friends, family and business colleagues. Most of these technologies have been available for years, but now we are being pushed out of our comfort zones, and new words, like, Zoom, Webex and Teams, just trip off our tongue. I am interested in seeing what changes will stay and what will be rolled back once the current restrictions are eased. 

Whole new topics have sprung up on YouTube – 'getting ready for your Zoom meeting', 'looking professional in your next online meeting'. So funny, things change so fast, and it is difficult to imagine them just disappearing, so what changes are here to stay?

So I encourage you to reach out to someone you know, someone who may be alone or older.  Reach out through the phone or online, drop food at people's door, check on neighbours - stay safe but stay connected.  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Catherine, Nice to read your blog, anothere way we can keep in touch in these surreal times, I like what you were saying about the fact that we are physically distancing but actually socially we're doing alright with all the ways, Zoom, facetime or just a good ol' phone call which mum was always a big fan of. If she was alive now she'd be spending lours on the blower. I see your restrictions have been lowered in the territory today, lucky you:) Our premier is a bit of a control freak and erring on the side of caution so it does't look like the kids will be allowed to come over for Mothers day, oh well, take care love to Doug and Brooke

    ReplyDelete

Staying socially connected while we maintain safe physically distancing.

What changes are the current restrictions having in your life? Is it hard to know what day of the week it is? Do you now spend more time on...